Thursday, January 21, 2010

Art v Fashion

Hmmm... my wife has me thinking again, this time about color. Now, the fashion industry spends millions determining what colors and shades are going to be THE color. They do their research, actually they hire it out, they pick the colors then go about spending millions more marketing and telling the public what they want. So, she says if I want to paint art that THEY might want, I may as well use the colors they have been told that they want. So here we go...I went up on Pottery Barn.com and found the colors that they have chosen for 2010. What is interesting is that most of the colors that I've been using are already found in my work for 2010. But, I did get the confidence to go ahead and add some gold metalic and it really looks great.

I finished another piece this morning. It's BIG and all shades of orange, what I like to call "Enlightenment Orange", I think it works. My wife, aka my biggest fan, really loved this one and begged me to do another one very similar but in shades of bright blue.

By the way, the series I'm working on right now is called "Native" all paintings in this series will be numbered based on the work I have done in my sketch book. I finished 149 sketches for this series while I was in Hawaii for the month of October. I was very inspired by the wild undeveloped land on the big island south of Hilo. We met great people. And we can't wait to go back.

In summary, fashion dictates color, artists reinterpret and give color context. That's all for now folks! Thanks for reading (Blair!).

1 comment:

  1. So....when you gonna post picks of your paintings? I can't wait to see "Enlightenment Orange"!

    ReplyDelete