Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Man in a Foreign World/ Project Mayhem

I am writing this blog as I embark on quite possibly the biggest adventure of my life. I am a 34 year old artist living in Laguna Beach, CA. A very long way from my place of birth Warsaw, Poland, which was, by the way Communist at that time! I stand on a precipice. I am for the first time taking my art out of the studio and into the public arena. This very week I will be applying to The Festival of the Arts in Laguna Beach. Not that that's all that amazing. What is going to be more public is the crazy PR and unpermitted arts campaign my wife has come up with. She is a documentary filmmaker/art historian who believes that the only artists who get recognized in the public been the artist who weren't afraid to get up in the public's face. The shy artist is a fucking relic!

It is our intention to place my art into public spaces, commando style, film it and see what happens. Our first piece will be a large painting on a wall near my art studio, which is on Pacific Coast Highway. Now keep in mind this is Laguna Beach. A conservative retirement refuge for the old and nosy posing as a hippie artist colony. In 1960, if someone put a piece of art on their own property, no biggie, heck even in the 80's it was cool. Laguna was by artist for artists back then. Now you go into the galleries down town and they are full of the same crappy lithographs you can buy in the mall. What the heck? Let's find out what happens when an artist does art...in an "art colony" in 2010. And, try to remember this isn't Communist Poland.

Unfortunately, it has just started raining and they say this is the big one, so Project Mayhem will be delayed due to weather. Though, weather permitting, it will be in full effect by Jan 22nd. In the mean time I will put in my application to the Festival. 

1 comment: